Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Few Items of Interest to Only a Few

Joseph got his Webelos badge today. We are all very proud of him. Of course there are no photos of the event because his parents are "disabled" as Charlie Rangel would say. So be kind to us. Had a couple of fun conversations with the kids today. I've been slowly copying all our music CD's to iTunes over the past forever, and on my desk was Marie's copy of the Sound of Music soundtrack. (Mind you, my kids have seen this movie MANY times). On the CD cover is, of course, the apparently not so famous Julie Andrews; because Andrea walks into my office and notices the CD and says, somewhat mystified, "Julie Andrews is in the Sound of Music?!" "Uhh...yes, Andrea," I respond. "Where have you been?" "I thought she was just in the Princess Diaries." Hmmm... I then point out to her that Julie Andrews is much better known for The Sound of Music than The Princess Diaries, which in the world of movies is not even worthy of a blip. To which she responds with, "But The Princess Diaries is a way better movie." "Why would you say that," I ask. "Because it has Anne Hathaway in it, and she's a great actor [sic]...Julie Andrews is lucky she got to meet Anne Hathaway!" [The sound of crickets is appropriate here.] No doubt Ronald Reagan was also lucky to walk in front of Grammy Gibb's car. He probably never forgot that moment. If I haven't yet established the high level of cultural literacy in this house, then let me finish with this... So later in the evening Andrea, again, asks Marie if she knows that book by Edward Allen Poe, "The Count of Monte Crisco." Whoops, and whoops again. Marie politely corrects her, ie. laughs at her, as Hannah pipes up with this: "Is that one of the stories in that scary book we've got by Alfred Hitch-hock?" OUCH! Maybe the Obamatrons are right. We are a bunch of tacky, hayseeds here in fly-over country. Well, too bad for them. We vote and we're propagating like rabbits. Hah!

5 comments:

Happily Ever After said...

Too funny! Makes me look forward to the fun things I get to encounter when my girls get older instead of being sad that they are growing up all to quickly!

Casey said...

YEAH! A new post. Yippeee. Loved it. The whole conversation with your kids reminds me of one we had just a few weeks ago at dinner. It's too hard to write out but it has to do with the word Olah - on of my kids thought it was Ole'. Anyway, I'll have to tell you sometime because it's hilarious. So much like your story. Although, it made me realize that my children don't know spanish all that well. I guess that's what happens when you don't raise them in So Cal.

Casey said...

P.S. Tell Andrea that I think she is SOOO wrong - The Sound of Music was one of the best movies ever made. Maybe someday someone will realize that and Julie Andrews might get another shot at a new movie. HA!

Anonymous said...

Barty! I Am so glad you finally wrote on your blog. I constantly check it only to be completely disappointed..what are you busy?? Well, i have always thought Andrea was pretty alright in my book. I would have to partially agree with her. Princess Diaries was a fab movie, besides Anne Hathaway, they got to wear way better clothes then they did in the Sound of Music. But really, nothing can compare to the amazing talent and musicality in the Sound of Music!!

maren bosley said...

LOVE IT!!! Keep up the fun stories. You're great at retelling them!